(amended 16 March 2013 changes are in red)
Members are expected to adopt this Code in order to fulfil the aims and objectives of the Cardigan Welsh Corgi Association.
In doing so they will:
1. Properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2. Not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
3. When their dogs are away from home, ensure that the dogs shall wear properly tagged collars and shall be kept fully leashed or under effective control.
4. Acknowledge responsibility to clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere where their dogs are being exhibited.
5. Accept that all breeding stock should be tested for any hereditary conditions through schemes recognised by the Kennel Club (acting singly or with others). With regard to gPRA, only stock given clearance should be used for breeding. All UK breeding stock should be shown as clear of gPRA, either by testing or by heredity, on the UK Kennel Club database. In other cases, the breeding restrictions applied by a particular scheme should be adhered to.
6. Accept that all dogs offered at stud should be in good health and proven sires and bitches be accepted only from owners willing to abide by the CWCA Code of Ethics. Ideally, bitches should not be bred from before the age of 15 months or the second season whichever is the later or after 7 years of age.
7. As owners of stud dogs accept only bitches considered capable of producing puppies conforming to the breed standard and which are themselves in suitable condition to rear a litter. Owners of these bitches to abide by the CWCA Code of Ethics and have the time and facilities to breed and rear a litter.
8. Only sell puppies and older dogs to homes where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the rehousing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
9. When placing their dogs in a new home, provide written details of all dietary requirements and supply guidance concerning responsible ownership. When selling or transferring a dog to another person, ensure that all relevant KC documents are provided to the new owner.
10. Not knowingly sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any kind.
11. Not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the quality of the dog.
12. Conduct themselves at all times whether at home, travelling or at shows in such a manner as to reflect credit on dogs in general and Cardigans in particular. When attending shows to always be courteous to judges, stewards and other exhibitors. Judges decisions must be accepted in a sportsmanlike manner and exhibitors refrain from any criticism or any unacceptable behaviour at the ringside. Any complaints to be made to the officials of the Show or Breed Association. To use social media in a responsible manner, in accordance with the above standards of behaviour, being mindful of the effect that improper use may have on our breed, our Association and other members.
Anyone requiring advice on any of this Code may contact Officers or members of the C.W.C.A. Committee.